PDA

View Full Version : morta and tobacco types

lestrout
07-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm in the process of getting a morta Prince from caskwith and am wondering which tobacco blends might be most congenial. Any experiences out there?

hp
les

Ramon
07-17-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm in the process of getting a morta Prince from caskwith and am wondering which tobacco blends might be most congenial.

English and Balkans.

That said, I dont like the morta taste. Let us know what you think.

maggid
07-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I have yet to take the plunge with the morta, been kinda apprehensive.

lestrout
07-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Ramon - how would you characterize the morta taste? I discussed the morta Prince with caskwith just days ago and this morning he had this ready to ship Monday!
Now being bog oak and all, is the morta taste oaky? With Chardonnay, that's a good thing (for those who like it).

hp
les

Drifter
07-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Looks grand Lester! Let us know how it smokes for you. Never had one myself.

ozark southpaw
07-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I like that pipe!! A lot!! Enjoy!

Ramon
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Ramon - how would you characterize the morta taste?

Burnt rubber!

lestrout
07-31-2009, 11:46 AM
well, despite some concerns along this line, I initialized the Askwith morta prince with Balkan Sasieni, one of my calibration standards, and did not detect any burnt rubber. Perhaps a more neutral VA, or even a (gasp) burley might uncover this.

There was an undertone, but in a Zen way, I'm going to have to define it by what it's not: not briar, not olivewood, not cherrywood, not cob, not meer (not that meer has any taste at all). But then water doesn't have any taste supposedly, and when I used to fill jugs of spring waters around the limestone acquifers of Chester County, I could discern distinct tastes, or at least taste sensations, from one source or another.

In my travels, if I espy a natural spring, I stop and fill a couple of bottles to enjoy. But then, I like various municipal waters too: for instance, NY City water is especially delicious. But be aware that this writer not only likes the current Philadelphia tap water but even the notorious vintages of the '60's when the Schuylkill River was horridly polluted and the water treatment plants hadn't been upgraded.

hp, and hd too
lwy