+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Pipe Accessory, sort of.

Default A Pipe Accessory, sort of.

I have a very soft spot in my heart, or my head, for pipes from an long gone pipe shop that was located in New Orleans, Ye Olde Pipe Shop. I have stumbled across little bits and pieces of information about the shop but very little. So, I got all excited when I ran across a booklet about pipe smoking that was written by the last owner of the shop, Mr. Edwin Jansen.

This is a reprint, the first was printed in 1963 and the second in 2005, by the River Road Tobacco Co. in New Orleans. Briar pipes from the shop were made by Comoy and GBD and I have been lucky enough to secure four of these pipes. They are all fine smokers, if somewhat plain, and with run of the mill grain but no fills. They are more on a level of workman's pipes or everyday pipes.

Here's a picture of my four Jansen's of N.O. marked pipes and the booklet.

Des
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	336  

Blog Entries

Very nice, a fine bit of pipe history there Des, and you have 4 of them, excellent.
    The first and last thing which is required of genius is the love of truth

LARRY

Sweet pipes - love that Oom Paul and the Dublin/zulu!

Nice pipes - I like "plain ... everyday pipes".

Very cool! There has to be a wealth of this sort of pipe literature out there, shame there is no bibliography of that I know of.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." (John Wayne, as J.B. Books in The Shootist 1976)

Nice book. Would like to read it one day
    "Don't half-ass two things; whole-ass one thing" - Ron Swanson

+ Reply to Thread