+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIP Captain Beefheart

Default RIP Captain Beefheart

One of the Greats of the 70s if a bit off beat - incredible voice

Reason I'm posting this link - there's video of him smoking a nice Dunhill Oom Paul, 1 minute 20 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAc4i4MByiY
    Last edited by Ivan; 12-20-2010 at 07:19 PM.
    "If you aren't going all the way, why go at all?" Joe Namath

Blog Entries

I have always been a big fan of his. Shame.
    John

Bob Loblaw or Blah, blah, blah

Godspeed, Cap'n!

I was really sorry to hear that news.

Captain Beefheart was one of the few singers I know of who had a singing voice that could compete with Howlin' Wolf

The Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot remain among my favorite albums by anyone. I still haven't found the secret to enjoying Trout Mask Replica, though.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Well, never heard of him before now, but may he rest in peace.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." (John Wayne, as J.B. Books in The Shootist 1976)

I tried Trout Mask Replica once. Probably why I never got into Capt Beefheart.
    I listened to some far out stuff back in the day (try Pink Floyds UMMA GUMMA) and that album was too much for me.
    "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another" John 13:35

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    I tried Trout Mask Replica once. Probably why I never got into Capt Beefheart.
    I listened to some far out stuff back in the day (try Pink Floyds UMMA GUMMA) and that album was too much for me.
    Go on Amazon or Barnes and Noble and listen to these clips from the albums I mentioned. These are some kickin' tunes, 1000X more accessible than something like "Ant Man Bee."

Seriously - check 'em out. They really kick.

"I'm Bonna Booglarize You Baby"
    "White Jam"
    "When It Blows Its Stacks"
    "Low Yo Yo Stuff"
    "Crazy Little Thing"
    "Long Neck Bottles"
    "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles"

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Wolf View Post
    Go on Amazon or Barnes and Noble and listen to these clips from the albums I mentioned. These are some kickin' tunes, 1000X more accessible than something like "Ant Man Bee."

Seriously - check 'em out. They really kick.

"I'm Bonna Booglarize You Baby"
    "White Jam"
    "When It Blows Its Stacks"
    "Low Yo Yo Stuff"
    "Crazy Little Thing"
    "Long Neck Bottles"
    "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles"
    There is some great music of his on Spotify!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y0MQ...eature=related

Great footage from the USA in this Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfa6j...1&feature=fvwp

I know this thread is nearly a year old, but as we close in on the first anniversary of his death, I just have to say that Captain (Don Van Vliet) Beefheart is perhaps my favorite artist of the 20th century. He was one of those rare people for whom art and life are inseparable.

The powerful, playful and profoundly unique music he shared with us from the mid-60s up to 1982 when he retired from music and took up painting full time (and was quite successful at it) the writing of poems and stories, the approach to life itself...I am a huge fan and he was hugely influential to me.

I have an article around here somewhere that includes a profile photo of him smoking a bent, big-bowled briar and in the interview he mentions that he gave up cigarettes for pipes in the early 80s and that he had a huge collection of pipes.

+ Reply to Thread