+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I do not buy flints

As a user of BIC dispoables (mainly outdoors and out and about in the truck), a question comes to me. I use mine till they simply will not light at all again. How much of the flint is left at that point?
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." (John Wayne, as J.B. Books in The Shootist 1976)

Jim, I do the same as William: I pull all the flints out of used-up bic lighters. (I am not so exacting as William. I just rip the tops off with pliers and hope I can find the flint.) Anyway, the flints I have salvaged average about 3/8 inch in length.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    As a user of BIC dispoables (mainly outdoors and out and about in the truck), a question comes to me. I use mine till they simply will not light at all again. How much of the flint is left at that point?

Thanks GG!
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." (John Wayne, as J.B. Books in The Shootist 1976)

Chester Ct, PA Smoking Lat out in the Yugo.

Rev - thanks a mint. I like the idea from the recycling standpoint too. But I'll wear safety glasses when I disembowel my next BIC.

hp
    les

Wow! That is seriously frugal, Rev. Are you part Scottish?

If you follow that guy's method in the video, including his choice of tools, you probably won't save and money, between the ER visits to get stiches, and the need to replace your knife every few weeks 'cuz you broke off the tip by using a knife as a pry bar.
    Last edited by AlaskaPuffin; 03-29-2011 at 05:12 AM.
    Alaska Puffin: A Cool Smokin' Bird with a Big Pecker!

I am going to have to try that. Will the flints work in a Zippo?
    "Don't half-ass two things; whole-ass one thing" - Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by dutchking2282 View Post
    I am going to have to try that. Will the flints work in a Zippo?
    The only problem I've had is that in the case of BIC lighter flints, they were still too long to use without clipping off a bit with a pair of dikes. (It's amazing the length of flint they use in the full sized BIC's.)
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    The only problem I've had is that in the case of BIC lighter flints, they were still too long to use without clipping off a bit with a pair of dikes. (It's amazing the length of flint they use in the full sized BIC's.)
    Indeed, you can get two zippo sized flints out of a single dead bic. I like the DJeep lighters and I tried to use one of their flints in my zippo. It was too wide but with a little finagling I got it to fit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2