+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not pipe pictures but...

Blog Entries

Default Not pipe pictures but...

I thought I'd share a couple of pics from my latest photo shoots which I thought turned out quite well. For the first time I've been learning to use a reflector to minimize shadows and to add a hue to my models, sometimes it is a bit extreme, but over all I'm liking the results.

This is my first attempt at a reflector. Ever. I used the white side to give a soft hue. I used my GF as the model because if it turned out horribly wrong I know she will forgive me, (might cost a back rub and a dinner out though).

This is the effect of the gold side. I think it give the 'beach bunny Sports Illustrate' kind of hue. The reflector might have been a bit too close, as she is a bit more 'gold' than I'd like, but regardless I'm pretty happy with the results. The model is my friends daughter.

This is the result of the silver reflector with an off camera flash shot into the reflector. Unfortunately the setting I was in did not make for a good background, but the shadows did disappear nicely.

Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 10-03-2011 at 01:04 PM.
    John

Bob Loblaw or Blah, blah, blah

Very nice my friend. You have a real talent.

Your talent with the camera is equally as gifted as your choice in women.

Blog Entries

Thanks folks. It really is a learning process where I try to get a specific result that is flattering to those I photograph without the use of a studio. I have never been a Photoshop junkie (except for acne removal and such), and prefer a more natural look rather than the airbrushed one that is so common in many magazines.

This week I'm going to attempt new pipe photographs as I have about half a dozen I have not gotten around to shooting yet, and there are a couple new techniques I have been reading about that I really want to try. Also the leaves are changing now, which gives me about a one to two week window to shoot the colors before they go for the year. Here is hoping I can book a client or two this week as these are the best backgrounds I will get before winter hits.

@Ray... I wish I had my choice in women, I am however a most fortunate man to have found just one who does not run screaming once she gets to know me.
    John

Blog Entries

Bob, nice work there young fellow. You've certainly got a good handle on posing your subjects in open shade. That's my favorite type of lighting for 'people shooting', too.

In the way of the sort of constructive critiques I used to get in photo school, I'd offer the following->

First photo - I'm not sure that the trees growing at a 45 degree angle works well there. Everyone knows trees grow pretty much vertical & that adds a sort of unnatural & distracting element to that photo. It works for some things, but in this case I don't see where it does anything to enhance an otherwise good outdoor portrait. It really seems to detract in this case.

Second photo - Technically & lighting-wise, I'd call this the best of the three. In the way of improvement, I'd be inclined to crop it tighter into a square photo. I'd lose everything below the girl's shoulder, just above where the dress starts. Almost 1/3 of the image space is wasted on a rather distracting looking (from that angle) dress. I would also be inclined to remove that blemish/whatever from the middle of her forehead.

Third photo - I like this photo a lot & the siding on the building, although a little 'busy', is uniform and doesn't bother me like 'busy' backgrounds usually do. It probably might have helped to throw the building more out-of-focus, though. What bothers me most is that stupid window. I'd prefer all out-of-focus building siding. This photo would also benefit from tighter cropping. I'd be inclined to lose the bottom 1/4 or 1/3. Like photo #2, I'd crop it square just below the girl's shoulders.

Then, for all three, I'd like to see them all a little "warmer". Especially with female portraits. By 'warm', I mean color balance. More of a 'darkroom' technique. In today's parlance, that's your graphics program.

My general recipe for warming photos is --

+ 3 parts Yellow (or -3 parts Blue)
    + 1 part Red (or -1 part Cyan)
    ...and sometimes +1 part Magenta (or -1 part Green)
    (depending on presence of green tones)

<-Of course this has to be done visually and is only a rough guideline. Just don't overdo any single color.

OK, you asked for it. Hope this is useful or helpful to you. Nice work all-in-all. Photographers have always used the 'darkroom' to improve what came out of their cameras, so don't be afraid to use a bit of it.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob G; 10-17-2011 at 07:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Bob, really appreciate those ideas. I will give them a rework with some new cropping and saturation changes to see how they work out. Great thoughts.
    John

Blog Entries

I think they look very nice Bob, pipes can be a little tricky, at least for me they were.
    The first and last thing which is required of genius is the love of truth

LARRY

Well done. Sure is fun practicing with those lovely ladies, isn't it?

I, too, like shooting portraits in the shade, but sometimes my subjects think I am nuts for using a flash (for fills) on a bright sunny day.
    Alaska Puffin: A Cool Smokin' Bird with a Big Pecker!

+ Reply to Thread