+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amphora Original

Blog Entries

Default Amphora Original

This is one of my all time favorites, have been smoking it now for over 20 years and am guaranteed to smoke at least a few pipes a week of this wonderful blend.

Tobacco reviews states this is a blend of Burley, Kentucky, Cavendish, and Virginia, and I would agree. The burley is the predominant tobacco, with the others adding a bit of body and smoothness. There is a very slight casing of chocolate, which does not distract from the tobacco taste, and is hardly recognizable as all. I would say this is a medium bodies tobacco, and mild to medium in nicotine content which makes it a nice smoke first thing in the morning or for new pipe smokers.

The cut is a long, narrow ribbon which packs well, and the tobacco does not benefit from drying as it is quite easy to light straight out of the pouch or tub, and burns to the bottom of the bowl dryly leaving little to no dottle. This is on OTC blend here in Canada, and available pretty well everywhere pipe tobacco is sold.

Based upon taste, price, availability and such, I'd give Amphora Original a 4.5/5. There really is nothing missing from this blend.
    John

Bob Loblaw or Blah, blah, blah

I've never seen it for sale here in the states, but I'm hoping to pick some up next weekend when I'm up in Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInPhilly View Post
    I've never seen it for sale here in the states, but I'm hoping to pick some up next weekend when I'm up in Montreal.
    While a big fan of Amphora pipes, can't say I know the tobaccos by the name at all really. I did try a pouch of the red, a couple of years back, and liked it. That said, I also wonder--is it even sold in the US anymore?
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." (John Wayne, as J.B. Books in The Shootist 1976)

I was able to pick up a pouch but at $20/ pouch I only got the one. I think I'm going to hang onto it for a little while. Too many open tins at the moment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInPhilly View Post
    I was able to pick up a pouch but at $20/ pouch I only got the one. I think I'm going to hang onto it for a little while. Too many open tins at the moment.
    Well done, you got a bargain price for it. Where I am it is about $4 more, hence why I mainly order from the US. When you get a chance, let me know what you think of it.
    John

Bob Loblaw or Blah, blah, blah

Blog Entries

All the Amphora blends are OTC blends here in Australia and can be bought at any local food store.

+ Reply to Thread