+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stem Restoration

Default Stem Restoration

Dings, dents and bites - can be removed or reduced by heat but I read that boiling in water is not a good idea. So what is the best technique ?

For me Ivan..being technically-challenged, sending them out to someone who is not is best. So far, the boldest I have gotten was heating the metals of screw-in stems to realign them properly.
    Last edited by Drifter; 10-27-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." (John Wayne, as J.B. Books in The Shootist 1976)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Dings, dents and bites - can be removed or reduced by heat but I read that boiling in water is not a good idea. So what is the best technique ?
    Heat will SOMETIMES remove or lesson tooth marks. Boiling in water won't hurt them to my knowledge but it will a lot of times turn them brown,seems to bring oxidation to the surface. If you have one try a heat gun.If not to deep they can be removed with careful sanding or filing.
    Ed.

The good thing about boiling water is that it wont go over 100C whatever you do.
    I tried it once or twice to reduce some deep marks and it worked very well.

The bad think is that it will totally oxidize the stem, I'm not sure if it brings existing oxidation to the surface or if it is brand new but be ready to de-oxidize the stem afterward.
    just another pipe hacker

acaciavet knows a lot about restoring them, wait until he chimes in, he may know what to do about marks.

Duke

I heard some use toothpaste to polish their pipes to restore them to their orginal lustre!

Give the stem a bleach bath for 8 to 24 hours. Make sure to cover any logo with a dab of Vaseline. Thereafter, remove the stem and sand it lightly with fine sandpaper, 320 -600 grit. Then buff the stem with jewelers rouge and finally carnauba wax. Should be good as new.

+ Reply to Thread