+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pete 3 P's

Chester Ct, PA Smoking Lat out in the Yugo.

Default Pete 3 P's

or Peterson's Perfect Plug. I've roved a bit into VAs this summer, partly to prove that I'm not just a Latfanatic. There may be something to the theory that heavy Latbombs are favored in the cold wintry months, and the converse would point to low Lats and noLats as summer fare. Last Morley's, I stopped by Holt's downtown Philly, a block away, and spied a tin new to me, and since it was still warm, nabbed a tin.

When we opened it at the club meet, we saw an ominous block encased in cellophane. The thing felt rock hard and intimidated even Morleysson from going the distance. No one had a sharp serrated knife or even an Exacto, so the block escaped the meeting unscathed.

So I decided to do the deed myself. I was surprised when uncasing the block that it wasn't as tough to unravel as we had thought. I knew it wasn't a crumble cake, and the leaf is pressed to a fare thee well. But as I worried a corner a bit, I found I could peel back a layer easily. I dried out a ply and pulled it apart, then stuffed it into a Ciro Prince.

It did take half a box of wooden matches to get going, and it is very tasty, reminiscent of G&H Dark Unscented Flake more than Pete's University Flake, which I had a bowl of this week during another foray into Holt's. TR (now back on line) talked about a light casing, and it is pretty subtle, the dominant olfactory signals being nothing but potent tobacco goodness. The free smoke drifting from the bowl is very very nice, and the taste is smooth and amazingly rich, especially considering it doesn't have any Lat or Perique enhancement. If a Lat is a symphony or jazz, 3 P's is country music, but very good country music.

TR reports Malawi Burley leaf - so does the label, now that I'm reading it. I don't know if Malawi also produces VA, or if it denotes burley. Georgetown has Councilman, an English with Malawi, which I assumed to be a VA and which has a sweet taste full of character, and I can get the same vibe out of 3 P's.

The other VA/burley flakes that I recall are MacBaren Navy Flake and Orlik's Golden Sliced, and they are in the same genre but this is richer. The nic hit is moderate, less so than UF and maybe more than MacB NF and OGS. I haven't dug into my Irish Flake, but I gather this is the kingpin of the bunch for nic lovers.

The taste stays surprisingly consistent through the bowl, though there is a predictable strengthening towards the bottom. Not having Lat, 3 P's may not make my Top100 on the first try, but I suspect I will get more tins of this, and maybe as well G&H Dark Flake Unscented and MacB NF and OGS as I look for change of pace smokes. I plan to try 3 P's in my Askwith morta, which I've gotten to like puffing VAs in. The morta transmits a deep earthy tone, rather like tossing in a coin of Pigtail or Black XX Rope.

hp
    les

Congratulations Lester, on:

(a) smoking something without Latakia, and
    (b) joining the 3P fan club!
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." (John Wayne, as J.B. Books in The Shootist 1976)

Chester Ct, PA Smoking Lat out in the Yugo.

DRi - I can see why you like 3 P's, and I've been thinking about the way you savor ropes and twists. Next you will have me nymphing.

hp and tl
    les

Quote Originally Posted by lestrout View Post
    DRi - I can see why you like 3 P's, and I've been thinking about the way you savor ropes and twists. Next you will have me nymphing.

hp and tl
    les
    Ah yes Lester, after fighting a fine trout, some down-deep, big-bad, attitude brown that ate your nymph like it was candy; a perfect celebration is a bowl of G&H Black Twist in a Falcon.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." (John Wayne, as J.B. Books in The Shootist 1976)

Jim I think CB would even smoke good in a falcon. Looks like our latophile is changing his wicked ways...but now he has me puffing lats. I cant wait to try the 3'P's
    David

Les is right, I was a bit intimidated by the granite-like rectangle of tobacco which he brought to the Morley meeeting. And, since life is short enough, I envisioned prep time of 3Ps to be more than I was willing to wait. Now, with the twists and the ropes, I know enough to cut them into utilitarian pieces, rub them out and let them dry in ample time (usually the day before) to smoke them. Knowing this, and knowing that I only had 3 boxes of matches, I decided to pass on the 3Ps until I could get a drier 'teased' sample, which I did over the T'giving holidays when visiting an old friend. He had dried his cut pieces for more than 3 days. It is an outstanding smoke, well worth the effort. And, Les is right in that I thought the smoke was more like that of G-H unscented, which i really like.

And, since life is short enough, I envisioned prep time of 3Ps to be more than I was willing to wait.

Plugs are indeed "preparation-intensive". One has to plan ahead for them, but defiantely worth the effort. I've been using an old, electric coffee grinder, and am wondering if those metal, hand-operated, her grinders would work as well?

Blog Entries

Now that I'm on my second tin of this, I can firmly say it is quickly becoming a favorite blend. I will be cellaring good amounts of this one for sure, that is if I don't smoke them first.
    John

Bob Loblaw or Blah, blah, blah

I have to agree. Tasty tobacco.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    wondering if those metal, hand-operated, her grinders would work as well?
    They can take a bit of effort depending how dense to tobacco is, but I prefer them over a coffee grinder. With the hand held, one has exact control over how much one wishes the tobacco to be broken up.
    John

Bob Loblaw or Blah, blah, blah

+ Reply to Thread